The time has arrived for homeowners in Southern Illinois to begin winterizing their properties in order to avoid winter damage and insurance claims. The Insurance House in Marion, Illinois would like to pass along 7 home winterizing tips for cooler weather.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Debris buildup in gutters and downspouts can attract pests, contribute to roofing deterioration and support an ice damn after a storm.
- Winterize outdoor spigots. Taking time to disconnect hoses, drain spigots and pipes and install facet covers can help prevent freezing pipes when temperatures drop.
- Replace HVAC filter. This step increases the likelihood that the heating and cooling system will continue to run efficiently, decreases the likelihood of maintenance visits, improves indoor air quality and helps keep the home cleaner.
- Seal doors and windows. Utility costs are on the rise nationwide. Keeping out drafts means a more comfortable home and a more manageable heating bill.
- Replace smoke detector batteries. Even if the device isn’t “chirping” to indicate that the batteries are weak, it’s advisable to replace smoke detector batteries twice a year, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
- Install weather stripping and door sweeps. These steps will keep any inclement weather outdoors while the home remains comfortable.
- Hunt for air leaks. – Make sure door and window caulking isn’t damaged and that all storm doors and windows are sealed correctly to keep the home cozy throughout the coming months.
For additional Home Winterizing Tips to avoid insurance claims, contact us today at 618-997-1311.
The Insurance House www.inshouse.com 618.997.1311